Tuesday, January 17, 2012

La Plaza de Espana



We went for a stroll around the plaza de España today. They filmed some scenes for star wars and Lawrence of Arabia there. It was magnificent. We were all speculating on when it was built. I initially thought it was modern and built in and older style, but I eventually settled that it was built after the Renaissance  maybe; I was way wrong. It was built in 1928  for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929! After I read this I immediately thought of the town hall in Munich that was rebuilt after the war in a Neo-Gothic style to appear much older than it was.



On Monday we went to a Bar called Montaditos. They have a deal where you can buy 2 pints and a bowl of nachos for 2 euros. So of course being the incredibly intelligent and savvy investors we are we capitalized on the bargain. While we were chatting in the dining room and man approached us to say hello. He said his name was Robin and he was from southern England but grew in Sevilla. He told us about Sevilla in his youth when it was still under Franco's rule and some other funny stories. It turns out he was the half owner of the bar. We told him his deal for Monday beers was fabulous and he informed us that Mondays was still their worst day for business. I am glad we made a friend with Robin. He may prove to be a wealth of knowledge and an interesting friend to have in the city.



This is kind of a neat photo of me and the other two girls from Presbyterian College in Sevilla with me. Carey Mears is on the right and Rebecca Settle is on the left. I am enjoying their company immensely and am glad we are becoming good friends fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment