Monday, January 16, 2012

First weekend...checked off with success.

   I was a bit anxious about this weekend because I'd heard many things about going out in Sevilla that were a slightly intimidating. I heard that the party doesn't really start until 2:00 am which is true. The discotecas didn't really get crowded until 1:30 or 2:00 but many people were in there bars prior to the discotecas though. The local kids who don't want to pay for drinks in the bars buy liquor and beer from the store and drink along the banks of the river which runs parallel to the major bar street calle betis. I think this  street would be equivalent to "the strip" in say Panama City or Myrtle beach in that there are many people there but it isn't a local hot spot. I really want to find the more local locations. For example one of the rules we have about sitting down at a restaurant or bar is that if it has english on the menu we don't go there. The bar tenders and bouncers on calle betis speak English and hand out little flyers or promotions for their drink deals in English.
   Friday night was the more intense of the two nights because all of us were very excited to go out for the first time. I checked the weather at 10:00 before I was leaving to go and saw it was going to be about 40 degrees so I wore layers in anticipation of walking back. As a result of my preparedness for my walk back I was drenched in sweat vey quickly after 20 minutes in the discoteca which was lovely. At around 2:30 I walked Carey back because she asked me too and she should walk alone at night anyways. When I got back everyone had for gotten I'd left to walk her home and they were calling me and really worried. We found a mcdonalds (the aussies call them mackers) still open at three thirty and quickly approached for the kill in our desperate and famished state.
   We all parted paths after the meal was complete and rebecca and I walked home since we live in the same district. It was fun walking home with her because we got to debrief and chat about the happeings of the night with our German friend and Australian friend kissing being the hot topic.

   Despite Paul's insistence that we continue to "wage this night" we all wanted to take it easy Saturday night. Plus the 3 chinese girls who live with me came out with us and they aren't really what you'd call party animals. They did enjoy the experience immensely to my relief. They danced at the discotecas and the bars and all had one sangria to drink. They stayed out with us until the bars closed at 3:30 and walked home with me and Rebecca.
  I had my first close encounter with a local Saturday night. I was at this bar and kept making that sort of awkward eye contact with the same girl, who I thought was pretty cute and obviously Spanish. So after a few deep breaths and rehearsal  of possible conversations I could maintain in Spanish (a pathetically small arsenal) I approached with caution. I walked up next to where she was standing at the bar and ordered a beer and a sangria. She just finished her drink as the bartender handed me my order and I handed her the drink and said hola. She said hello and thanked me for the drink. to my surprise and relief she was fluent in English so I was able to speak Spanglish with her. I asked for her number after a while when it looked like we were parting ways and she complied. I hope to see her again next week?
  Sunday had big plans for a day on the town that fell through due to rain. So i spent the day doing a good deal of nothing which is very difficult and frustrating when you are in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment