Monday, January 9, 2012

The First Day of Class

I woke up at 6:00 am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep... so I practiced my Spanish in my head while laying in bed. I reckon it helped because my Spanish today was much better than yesterday.
  I went to school for the first time today to begin the language course, WHICH IS FOR A GRADE!!! This was a surprise to me. I took the placement exam and I exempted elementary and intermediate 1 and began my instruction in intermediate 2. This is a classic example of the maxim, "pride goeth before the fall," because intermediate 2 proved to be a serious challenge despite my pleasure of being so advanced. I elected to move down to intermediate 1. I informed my teacher that my brain could keep up with what he said but my tongue was too slow for his class. This professor spoke little to no english and spoke like an auctioneer with a seriously contested antique.
 The intermediate 1 class proved to be a bit more relaxed. The teacher told us the first 2 days would be used to assess our abilities and then we would proceed accordingly. This class is much more elementary but I fell it is pertinent to pursue this avenue of action because I actually need the review of the basics to proceed.
 I came home for lunch and had a lovely conversation with Pepi. I told her I thought I was very lucky because my other friends' host mothers didn't speak with them very much. She was very surprised. She told me that Spanish is learned in the school and mastered in the home. She then showed me pictures of the five children of the first girl she hosted 20 years ago!! She told me her family has grown to be very large because the students that have lived with her have remained her family.
 Pepi and I were watching T.V. and a short piece about Elvis Presley came on and she told me this was her favorite!!!!!! How cool right? My host mother likes The King!
  I am certain Pepi is the best host mother I could ask for. So my momma doesn't need to worry because I am in good hands here in Sevilla.

Me and the Girls from P.C. (Carey and Rebecca) met up with some new acquaintances from class today after lunch and walked around looking for a place to buy power converters. I swear we walked in six circles and five figure eights before we found the store selling the converters. Once we completed this mission we returned to a bar where we discovered a sweet deal. The bar had a monday special where 2 pints and a bowl of nachos cost 2 euros...that is about $2.75 which is insane!! Our group of about ten students stopped and capitalized.

I am not sure what about drinking outside along the sidewalks is so lovely, but I promise enjoying a beer with a few friends street-side is intensely satisfying. The world the Sevillans use to describe their city is tranquilo, which I have personally translated into "chill."

1 comment: