Thursday, February 16, 2012

Locked Up Abroad

I must give credit for the ever so witty title of this post to Carey Mears. You will see the humor after the following anecdote.
   This past Saturday, I woke up at about one in the afternoon after returning home very late the night before from bar hopping with friends. I woke up and walked to the kitchen and exchanged pleasantries with Pepi. I then drank a coffee, a cup of chocolate milk, and ate some toast. I was promptly in bed again by 1:30. I slept until three and woke up to take my lunch, so I thought. I went to exit my room only to discover the mechanism in the door handle was broken and I was unable to leave my room. Pepi had informed me the day before she would be away until around seven or eight that evening. I was filled with dismay.
   I evaluated my situation carefully. I had half a bottle of water, some dried cherries, a few packs of skittles, and I had a window so thankfully the supply of oxygen wasn't a limiting factor in my predicament. I ended up passing the time by cleaning my room and watching the big bang theory until Pepi returned home around  7:00. She dismantled the door knob and I was freed from my Spanish prison.
   This coming weekend I am going to the third biggest Mardi Gras/Carnival party in the world, after Rio de Janeiro and the Canary Islands. I am pretty excited and a bit nervous. It sounds like it will be a very wild experience.
  I also signed up for a trip to Morocco in a few weeks as well. My first trip to Africa! My third continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment